Master/Mistress of the Watch
Department: Department of Technology
Position Level: Administrator
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Administrator Merit
Chain of Command
The Master of the Watch reports to the Director of Technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain hardware and software systems (servers, installed products) - install, update, decommission, etc.
- Respond to emergencies involving these components.
- Review and suggest products and processes involving technology to Director of Technology.
- Carry out requests for Executive/Admin branch such as providing statistics, info, etc. from database and systems to aid in other areas.
- Maintain backups.
- Must be able to monitor and respond to emergency situations appropriately.
- Must take responsibilities for all actions; the buck often stops with us.
- Must be highly trustworthy and discreet. A lot of confidential information and private details could be exposed either on accident or as required by duties.
- Must be careful and calculated in all actions. Thoroughly thought-out actions and thought-out plans are required to maintain stability and integrity without loss of data or interruption of service.
- Proficiency with one field of IT is required - web admin is preferred. Software and systems support is a benefit.
- Linux server admin (Ubuntu)
- Lighttpd admin
The Master of the Watch originally functioned with a range of duties, from security, to general board maintenance. When Melana al'Cairera retired from the position and Defen Estrator took over, the Server Administrator position was merged into that of Master of the Watch.
Master/Mistresses of the Watch
- Barmacral Tigana: March 22, 2020 - present
- Defen Estrator: January 1, 2008 - present
- Zashara Sho'am: July 30, 2020 - present