Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Josef was known as being extremely lucky (NS, Ch. 17).
- Josef Najima answers the Lady Kareil's call to go fight the Aiel during the Aiel War. He never receives a scratch (NS, Ch. 17).
- After the Aiel War, Josef and his family return to Canluum, and he is given a livery stable for his service (NS, Ch. 17).
- Josef and his three sons are killed in a fire (NS, Ch. 17).
- Siuan puzzles out that the Black Ajah is killing off everyone who might be the Dragon Reborn, since they don't know he is a baby and therefore think he might be a grown man; because Josef Najima was so lucky, and therefore possibly a man who could channel, she and Moiraine think that he might have been killed off by the Black Ajah (NS, Epilogue).
- Josef was always careful with lanterns in the stable, and never allowed any open flames (NS, Ch. 17).
"Josef was always careful with lanterns in the stable," she went on, "and he never allowed any kind of open flame. The boys must have carried little Jerid out to see their father at his work, and...." Another hollow sigh. "They were all trapped. How could the whole stable be ablaze so fast? It makes no sense." (Jurine Najima to Moiraine; New Spring, Chapter 17).
"It's just that Josef was always so lucky, my Lady Alys. Everyone spoke of it. They said if Josef Najima fell down a hole, there'd be opals at the bottom. When he answered the Lady Kareil's call to go fight the Aiel, I worried, but he never took a scratch. When camp fever struck, it never touched us or the children. Josef gained the Lady's favor without trying. Then it seemed the Light truly did shine on us. Jerid was born safe and whole, and the war ended, all in a matter of days, and when we came home to Canluum, the Lady gave us the livery stable for Josef's service, and...and...." (Jurine Najima to Moiraine; New Spring, Chapter 17).