Auhor: Kyria d'Oreyn
Joiya Byir was an Aes Sedai of the Gray Ajah (in earlier printings, she was referred to as White). She was also one of the Black Ajah with Liandrin. Despite her arrogant air and piercing dark gray eyes, she had a grandmotherly face as well as voice. Her dark hair did not show a hint of gray (TDR, Ch. 51; TSR, Ch. 5).
- Joiya left the White Tower with the rest of Liandrin's group for Tear. They stole several ter'angreal that allow access to Tel'aran'rhiod (TDR, Ch. 13).
- She captured Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene with Amico, Liandrin and Rianna at Mother Guenna's house (TDR, Ch. 51).
- Egwene trapped her in Tel'aran'rhiod when she found her in the Heart of the Stone (TDR, Ch. 54).
- Egwene and Nynaeve questioned Joiya and Amico, but learned nothing new. Joiya claimed that Liandrin intended to set Mazrim Taim up as the Dragon Reborn and do ill in Rand's name so that the nations would unite against him (TSR, Ch. 5).
- When Moiraine appeared, she sent Joiya and Amico back into their cells. She intended to have them taken to Tar Valon in four days (TSR, Ch. 6).
- She was questioned again and this time she was told Amico's words from when she was questioned; but the girls learned nothing new (TSR, Ch. 9).
"'Now, now,' Joiya Byir said with a smile that her eyes belied. 'I will not stand for demands, or bad language.' She sounded like a grandmother, too." (Joiya to Nynaeve; The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 51)